Orientation is a big topic for new hires and managers alike because a good orientation process really does set new hires up for success. Tess Heissner is a Human Resources Generalist at Baker Manufacturing based out of Wisconsin, and she joins me today to talk about the importance of a good orientation process.
Listen in as Tess discusses some of the challenges of orientation and some of the key things that she has done at Baker to make sure that new hires have an amazing experience. She will also share the three key topics that she finds critical to the orientation process, what orientation looks like at Baker, and the importance of orientee feedback.
What You’ll Learn In Today’s Episode:
- The importance of maintaining clear and concise communication. (2:40)
- How Baker utilizes the facility tour to set the expectations and lay the groundwork for the company culture. (3:50)
- What the orientation process looks like at Baker. (5:58)
- The key things on the orientation checklist. (7:30)
- How Baker supports new hires in the first year. (9:30)
- The different roles in the orientation process. (11:30)
Actionable Takeaway for HR Professionals:
- Provide a welcoming experience for the new hires. (11:55)
Actionable Takeaway for Executives:
- Show support for the orientation process. (13:45)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“We want to start them off on the right path to set them up for success.” - Tess Heissner Click To Tweet “Doing all of these check-ins may seem expensive at first, but in the long run, it really is a cost saver.” - Tess Heissner Click To Tweet “With HR, you always just have to roll with the punches and be positive.” - Tess Heissner Click To Tweet
Resources In Today’s Episode:
- Tess Heisner: LinkedIn
- Baker Manufacturing
- Join the Talent Optimization Foundation to get access to Tess Heissner’s upcoming webinar, as well as additional tools, previously recorded webinars, and how-to’s to help you authentically build the HR infrastructure of your business!
Enjoy the show? Use the Links Below to Subscribe: