What is a self-managing team? Where are they effective? And where are they not? These are all questions I’ll be exploring in this episode because, to be frank, self-managing teams are phenomenal in the right organization or team—but they don’t work for everyone. However, if you want team leaders to be able to focus on the ‘why’ and specific results, this may be a great route to take.
Listen in to hear how fostering self-accountability and self-management allows team members to be more engaged and motivated in their projects. You’ll get insight into how self-managing teams can affect your program, how HR professionals and executives can implement them into the workplace, and more.
What You’ll Learn In Today’s Episode:
- What a self-managing team is and why they are useful. (2:20)
- The importance of strategy and how to increase productivity. (3:52)
- Downsides and issues involved with self-managing teams. (5:40)
- The strategy of implementing self-managing teams. (6:31)
- Key areas to look at when finding strengths. (10:23)
- How to determine who to report to. (13:56)
- What to be aware of when creating self-managing teams. (16:20)
Actionable Takeaway for HR Professionals:
- Be creative in what you’re looking at and how you’re elevating your people to really get that business result. (17:30)
Actionable Takeaway for Executives:
- Make sure you’re designing your teams intentionally. (17:06)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“As long as you have the right players on your team, then everyone is marching in the same direction.” - @TraciLScherck Click To Tweet “The bottom line is that self-managing teams are not for every organization and they’re not for every team, but when they are right, they’re phenomenal.” - @TraciLScherck Click To Tweet “Individuals of self-managing teams have increased discretion over their work.” - @TraciLScherck Click To Tweet
Resources In Today’s Episode:
- Predictive Index Behavioral Assessment
- Strengths Finder
- EP 16: Creating Incredible Leaders with Joy Duce
- EP 24: Implementing the Service Delivery Model with Amy Stalker
- EP 28: Creating a Productive, Self-Managing Team with Assad Mirza
- Join the Talent Optimization Foundation to get access to tools, previously recorded webinars, and how-to’s to help you authentically build the HR infrastructure of your business!
Enjoy the show? Use the Links Below to Subscribe: